Windows users may experience several problems when operating the system, one of which is error 0x80070002. The name sounds so technical that you think only computer geeks can solve the issue. In truth, the complicated numerical codes are used by the manufacturer only to report the error. What is actually Windows 10 version 1803 error 0x80070002?
While 0x80070002 occurs due to a specific problem, the complex numerical code has nothing to do with its complexity. Users with lack of computer knowledge may give up even before figuring out what really happens with their Windows computer. The others try to find what it is and how to solve the problem. If you belong to the second group, check this out!
What Is Error 0x80070002?
As aforementioned, Windows OS uses numerical codes to report the error. Aside from 0x80070002, there are 0x80070057, 0x80070005, and 0x80070003 that may occur. Error 0x80070002 and 0x80070003 are relevant to Windows update. When your computer send this error message, it means there is something wrong with your Windows update.
This error commonly occurs when you are trying to install system updates. However, the error message may show a different code according to the Windows version you are using. For instance, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 users may find Code 80070002 while Windows XP users will see 0x80070002. But what does it actually mean?
The 0x80070002 is a Windows update error caused by time or date issue, registry problem, or file corruption. The error occurs when system update fails. This failure causes data mismatch problem. Though it sounds technical and complicated, this problem is not difficult to fix. Simple deletion of corrupted files are sufficient to eliminate the error.
However, there are some other possible causes that lead to error 0x80070002. They include:
- The default security of Windows XP has been changed
- Failure of system to update important files
- The drive letter of partition in the system has been modified
- Computer fails to transmit all files during the update.
Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1803 Error 0x80070002
After knowing what error 0x80070002 really is, it’s time to figure out how to solve the problem. Once more, you are always encouraged to find the solutions even though you are not a computer expert. The error 0x80070002 is quite simple, thus you can do it by yourself with the help of tutorial from the internet.
There are some solutions to resolve the problem. You don’t need to try all of the following methods, just find one that can work effectively for your computer.
- Check the date and time settings
This solution may be simple but it works well to help eliminate the problem. Why? You should know that one of the causes of Windows 10 version 1803 0x80070002 error is the incorrect date and time settings. Therefore, it is necessary to make adjustment to the time setting so as the computer can synchronize with time server of the internet.
To set the date and time, make sure what Windows version you are using. For Windows 7 or 8, you can click the Date and Time button and click Change date and time settings. See if the time and date is correct, including the time zone and internet time.
- Update device drivers
Problems with drivers such as outdated or missing drivers can also cause error 0x80070002. If you have tried the first step but the problem persists, you may try this method to get rid of the error. The following two ways can be used to update the device drivers on your Windows computer.
- Manually: uninstall your device drivers in Device Manager, then go to the official website for the correct drivers.
- Automatically: use the third party app to automatically update the driver.
- Modify the installation files of Windows update
In some cases, the error 0x80070002 is caused by the failure in the system update, including corrupted or missing Windows update installation files. To resolve the problem, you can delete the corrupted or missing installation files. But before modifying the files, be sure to stop the Windows Update service. Follow the steps below to disable the service:
- Press Windows logo + R at the same time to jump to Run dialog box
- Type services.msc, click OK
- Double click Windows Update
- Change to Automatic in the Startup type, then click Start under the Service Status.
- Click Apply and OK
- Restart and try if you can change modify the files.
- Try Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is the next method if you want to get rid of the 0x80070002 error. When the system fails to update, you may need the help from Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow the instructions below to solve the problem:
- Download Windows Update Troubleshooter from Microsoft according to your Windows version
- Run the troubleshooter, then click Windows Update. Click Next
- The system will run and find the problem for you. After the task completed, restart the computer and retry Windows Update. Check if the error 0x80070002 persists.
- Modify registry editor
The last but not least, try to modify the registry editor when you find the error in Windows Update. This method is also effective to solve the problem on your Windows. But before executing the method, make sure you choose English (United States) for the language setting. Besides, check if Windows Media Creation Tool is the administrator. Follow the instruction below:
- On your keyboard, press Windows logo + R at the same time
- Type regedit and hit Enter. Click Yes on confirmation pop up
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows|CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate|OSUpgrade
- Choose OSUprage key and right click empty area of Registry Editor. Click New, click DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Right click the NewValue#1 and choose Modify
- Rename to AllowOSUpgrade. In the box of Value data, enter 1. Choose Hexadecimal and click OK
- Restart the computer and check if the problem persists.
All in all, Windows 10 Version 1803 error 0x8007002 is common in Windows Update. Despite it looks tricky and difficult, how to solve the problem is not that complex. Try out the several methods above to get rid of the error 0x80070002.