Usually, you can use the SFC or the System File Checker for scanning and restoring the corrupted Windows system files. This action is always done when some Windows functions do not work properly or when the Windows crashes. However, some Windows 10 users reported that when they do the “SFC /scannow” command, they got a message that states “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation”. Do you have the same issue too?
If it is so, there are some methods or solutions that you can try to fix this problem. We will share those solutions in this description. However, you may need to back up some data first as anticipation. It is because you may have a large amount of vital data that needs to be protected as time goes on, such as the music, pictures, videos, document, and many more again. Backing up your data before doing some actions to fix an issue is the good habit to get over unexpected data loss.
After backing up the important data that you have, now you can start to fix the Windows Resource Protection could not Perform Windows 10 issue. Below are the complete solutions.
Run the CHKDSK
The first method that you can apply is running the CHKDSK. If you had any errors on your drivers, usually the SFC will also fail. That is why; the CHKDSK is the perfect tool to check the integrity of your hard disk and it can help to fix some kinds of file system errors. Here are the instructions to run this tool:
- First of all, you need to type “cmd” in the search box from the START option. After that, right-click on the Command Prompt area to choose the Run as Administrator option.
- Then, click the YES option when prompted by the User Account Control
- Then, type CHKDSK /r in the command prompt windows and then press the ENTER button. When you are asked to schedule the checking disk, you can enter the Y.
- Then, you need to close the Command Prompt Window and restart the computer.
After that, it usually will start checking the disk and then fix the errors that are detected automatically. The next thing to do is running the “sfc / scannow” to see whether it is worked or not. For some users, this first method is effective. That is why; it can be so effective for you too. However, if this first solution is not working for you, you can try the other solutions below.
Running the SFC in Safe Mode
The next solution is by running the SFC in Safe Mode. Just like the first method above, this second solution is also so easy to do. Follow the steps below to apply this solution:
- First of all, you need to press the Windows Logo Key on your keyboard and the R button at the same time. This action will invoke the RUN box.
- Then, you have to type the “msconfig” and after that press the ENTER button
- Tick on the SAFE BOOT in the boot and after that click the OK button that is available there.
- Usually, there will be a system configuration that appears, you need to click RESTART when it is asked. After that, your Windows will then “boot” into the safe mode.
- The next step to do running the “sfc /scannow” to see if it works or not.
Just try this method to find out whether it is the right solution for you or not to solve the Windows Resource Protection could not Perform Windows 10 issue.
Modifying the Security Descriptors on the Winsxs Folder
If the solutions above are not working for you or if the error message still pops out, it can mean the problem has nothing to do with the disk errors. That is why; you can continue to check the other possibilities. This can be the SFC utility cannot access the Winsxs folder because of the issues due to the Folder’s security descriptors.
Here are the instructions for doing this third solution that you can follow:
- The first action to do is opening the command prompt.
- In the command prompt windows, you need to type “ICACLS: \Windows\winsxs” and press the ENTER button.
- After that, wait until the command is executed and after that close the Command Prompt
- Then, you have to restart the computer and then run the SFC again for checking if the issue has been fixed or not.
Since this solution is so simple to do, you have to try it.
Re-installing the system
If the methods or solutions above are failing to work to fix the Windows Resource Protection could not Perform Windows 10 issue problem, you need to re-install the system. We can say that it is the fastest route to fix this problem. Before you do this action, you have to back up the data first. Below are the steps that you need to follow in order to apply this fourth solution:
- First of all, you have to go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool page.
- Click the “download tool now” button that is available there
- Then, you need to accept the license of the agreement.
- Keep the Default which is for upgrading your computer and then click the Next button.
- Go ahead and then follow the prompts that are displayed to finish the whole processes.
Maybe, this is the right solution that you can have to fix the problem.
Those are some methods or solutions that we can share to solve the Windows Resource Protection could not Perform Windows 10 issue. Actually, it is a common problem that is usually happened to most of the Windows 10 users and they can find the right solution to fix it. That is why; you have to try at least one of the solutions above to solve the problem so that you can use the Windows 10 comfortably. Have a try!