Update for Windows 10 that is launched by Microsoft sometimes experience the troubles, especially the case of Windows 10 Preparing to Install update stuck at 0. Actually, there are some factors that can cause your Windows 10 fails in doing the update. Thank God because there are some tips that you can try.
Actually, we don’t have to worry about the Windows Update Stuck because on the Windows 10 it will automatically download and install if there is any new update by using the process that is running in the background. Furthermore, when the update process is running, Windows 10 will not force its users to re-starting their computer for finishing that update installation process.
Unfortunately, sometimes when Windows 10 is installing or downloading the update, that process can be stuck in 0%, 49% or even when it is 99% without displaying any error messages. Since the appearance of Windows Vista, Microsoft is not fixing this bug and it makes Windows will not display any error messages when the update is stuck. It will still display the update process like the process is still running.
Because of that thing, as a user, we will feel so difficult to find out why the update process on the Windows 10 is stuck. If now your Windows 10 preparing to install the update is stuck at 0%, you can try one of some ways below.
SOLUTION 1: Restarting the Windows 10
If Windows 10 is stuck for some hours in the same percentage, the first step that I recommend is to restart your computer first. After the restart process is done, open again the Windows Update that is located in settings>update and security> Windows update and then clicks the check for updates button.
This way is maybe not always worked, but before you try the other solutions, it is recommended to try this first solution.
SOLUTION 2: Fixing Windows 10 Install Update Stuck by using the Troubleshooter
Do you know that in Windows 10, Microsoft has prepared the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix some common problems that can be happened on the Windows update? To run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, follow the easy steps below:
- Open the control panel.
- Change the control panel display or appearance by becoming the small icons and then choose the troubleshooting
- In the right side, click the view all link to display all the options to solve the initial problems on Windows.
- Find and click the windows update to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- After the Windows Update Troubleshooter option appears, you can click next to start the analysis process
If all the steps above are done correctly, the Troubleshooter will start to fix the Windows Update Error if it can find it. If it was done, you can directly close the Troubleshooter window and restart your computer if it is needed.
SOLUTION 3: Clean the Cache of Windows Update
If your Windows 10 Update is still stuck after trying the solutions above, the other solution that you can try to solve the Windows 10 preparing to install update stuck at 0 % is by clearing all the file cache that is made by Windows Update. Below are the steps:
- Right click on the start menu and then choose the command prompt (admin) to open the Command prompt with the administrator rights. Choose the Yes button if the UAC table appears.
- In the Command Prompt windows, execute this command: net stop wuauserv
- Click enter to execute that command or dialog
- Clicks enter for one more time to execute the command. After those two commands are run correctly, minimize the command prompt windows because we will need it again to execute the other command later.
- After that, open the file explorer and find c\windows\softwareDistribution
- In the location above, “C” is a letter when the Windows 10 partition is installed. If you install the Windows 10 in the other location, change the C letter with the appropriate letter.
- Choose all the files and folders in the Software Distribution folder. After that delete all those chosen file and folders. Click the continue button if the confirmation box appears. If there are some files or folder that cannot be deleted, restart your computer and then repeat the steps above.
- Open again the Command Prompt that is minimized and then type the command below and enter.
- Restart your computer and then run the Windows update again.
The Other Solutions that you can try
If the whole solutions above are not working really well, below I will share some other solutions that you can try to fix the Windows 10 Preparing to Install Update Stuck at 0 %. Below are those solutions:
- The first way that you can try is by erasing all the Temporary Files. Those temporary files contain the downloaded files that are saved and accumulated. This temporary file can cause your Windows 10 fails in doing the update. That is why; you can clean the temporary files and repeat the update again. Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection.
- The second way is to do the Windows 10 update offline. For this way, you have to download the File Update in the Microsoft legal site. To do so, you just need to type the build numbers or series that you want to download in the searching box. After that, choose the kinds of the bit that you need to use.
- The last way that you can try is by re-setting the Windows 10 PC. Re-setting your Windows 10 can make your Windows 10 PC becomes clean like the first time you use that. In this way, you can read some tutorials on the internet about how to reset the Windows 10 without losing your private data. After that, you can try to do the update. Make sure that you have a good internet connection to make the install update is easier and avoid any troubles.
Source: Microsoft Comunity