Windows 10 can have several different issues; one of those issues is the Windows 10 Volume slider is not working. If you have experienced it too, you don’t need to be worried because, in fact, sound problem is really common in every version of the Windows. Due to the use of Windows 10, some users said that they are unable for opening the control bar from the Windows 10 taskbar. In addition, you are not the only one who is experiencing this problem. That is why; today we have prepared several solutions to help you and everybody who is having this issue.
This problem means that you are not able to adjust the volume. Below are the solutions to fix the Windows 10 Volume Slider that is not working on your Windows 10.
Installing the Sound Drivers
This first solution is perfect if there is a dysfunctional sound control and if you are unable to hear any sound from the computer. If it happens, maybe the sound driver is missing or maybe corrupted. That is why; you need to check that everything is okay. To do so, there are several instructions and steps that you can do:
- First of all, you have to right-click the speaker icon that is located in the taskbar. Then, you need to choose the Playback Devices.
- After that, double-click on that default playback device.
- Under the controller information, you need to choose the Properties.
- Then, you need to go to the CHANGE settings and go to the “Driver” tab
- There are some few options in the Driver Tab. For this case, you can try to update the sound driver first by choosing the “Update Driver”. If the sound driver is not available, you can search online for the right driver for the sound card, and install for it.
- The last step is restarting your computer.
After that, you can check whether the problem is already fixed or not. This solution is effective and working for some users and maybe it will be working for you too. However, we still have some other solutions that you can try below if this first method is not working for you.
Restart Your Audio Service
In addition, some users reported that the Windows 10 Volume Slider is not working problem can be fixed easily by just restarting the audio service. That is why; you can also do this second solution to fix the issue. Below are the ways to restart your audio service:
- First of all, you have to go to the Search and then type ‘services.msc” without the quotation mark. After that, go to the SERVICE option.
- Then, find the Windows Audio and right-click on it. Then, you have to choose the Properties option.
- Before going to the further action, please ensure that the Startup Type is set into the “Automatic Option”
- After that, click the STOP option and please wait until the process to stop.
- Now, it is the time to choose the START option again.
- Last, restart your computer and you need to check whether the issue is fixed or not.
This second solution is so easy to do and you can try it to solve the Windows 10 Volume Slider is not working. If this method is also not working for you, we still have the other methods below.
Performing the SFC Scan
Performing the SFC scan can be also the right weapon to solve the Volume Slider that is not working on your Windows 10. Why? Sometimes your files can be corrupted and it can affect the volume control and make it is not able to work properly. Just follow these steps to perform the SFC scan easily:
- You need to press the Windows Key together with the X button at the same time for opening the Win + X menu.
- After that, choose the Command Prompt (admin) from the list. If the command prompt is not available, you can use the PowerShell (admin) too as the other option.
- After the Command Prompt opens, you need to enter the SFC / Scannow and then press the ENTER button for running it.
- Now, the SFC scan will be started. This scan will need for about 10 – 15 minutes long and don’t interrupt it.
After the scanning process is completely done, usually the files will be repaired and the volume control is fixed. It means that you can adjust the volume again.
Run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
In addition, you can easily fix the Windows 10 Volume Slider is not working by running the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter. This step is also so simple to do. Here are the further steps that you need to do:
- You need to press the Windows key button and l button together for opening the setting app.
- After the setting app is opened, you need to navigate to the Update and Security option
- Then, choose the Troubleshoot from the menu on the left side.
- In the right panel, you have to choose the “Hardware and Devices” and then click the Run the Troubleshooter Button.
- The Troubleshooter will be started and you can check for problems.
Wait until the troubleshooter is done and after it is completely done, you need to check whether the issue has been fixed or not.
Re-install the Audio Driver
Sometimes, the Volume Slider cannot be working because of the drivers. What we mean here is that your driver can be corrupted and you have to re-install them. Below are the steps:
- Open the Device Manager by pressing Windows Key+X button together
- Choose the Device Manager
- Right-click on the problematic device and choose the “Uninstall Device” option
- Click the UNINSTALL button to remove it.
We are suggesting you uninstall the Speaker Audio device from the section of Audio Input and Output. After that, you can click the icon of Scan for Hardware Changes to restart the PC.