Windows Update can be a tough thing for some people, especially when it stuck. Actually, the Windows update is operating quietly inside the background. In fact, some problems can appear during its update, including the Windows update stuck at preparing to install. This problem can happen on several kinds of Windows such as Windows 7, 8, and Windows 10. Commonly, this issue happens in Windows 7.
So, what is the cause of this issue? Actually, there are some reasons that cause this Windows update stuck at preparing to install. Usually, this problem has happened because of the software conflict or an outdated driver.
Now, we will talk about how to solve this problem. Although this problem is so annoying, there are some solutions that you can try to fix the issue. First of all, you can run the Windows Update Troubleshooter that you can find out within the start menu. Besides this method, there are still some other different methods that you can try. Below is further information about how to solve the Windows update stuck at preparing to install.
SOLUTION Windows Update Stuck at Preparing to Install
SOLUTION 1: Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter
The first method that you can try is by running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. What is this? Actually, it is a windows repair tool to fix some updates. In addition, this tool is a feature that is provided by Windows to help the users for solving some problems.
That is why; with this tool you can fix the major Windows issues easily by using the Windows Update Troubleshooter. To do this first method, here are the instructions or steps that you can do:
- Choose the Fix Problem with the Windows Update from that place
- That action will open the Windows Update and you can choose the Advanced option
- After that, choose the option for applying the repair automatically
- Then, you can choose the Run as Administrator option
- The last step is clicking the NEXT button to start the scanning process
Those are 5 simple steps that you can try in order to solve the Windows update stuck at preparing to install problem. This solution is effective for some users. However, if it is not working for you, you can try the other solutions below.
SOLUTION 2: Clear the Windows Update Cache
This is the second method that you can also use to solve the issue of Windows update stuck at preparing to install. This second solution is also so easy and you can even try it by yourself. Below are the complete instructions to clear the Windows Update cache:
- First of all, you must start Windows in Safe Mode
- After that, open the Command Prompt (admin)
- Next, you can turn off the Windows Update
- The next thing to do is type the following command and press this enter one by one: “net stop wuauserv” and “net stop bits”
- After that, you have to click the File Explorer button that is located on the taskbar
- Then, navigate to “C:\Windows\softwaredistribution” that is located in File Explorer
- Then, choose all the files and subfolders that are located there and delete all of those files and subfolders
- You need to open the cmd as an admin and then type these following command again: “net start wuauserv” and “net start bits”
- Press the ENTER button
Usually, this second method is effective to solve the Windows update stuck at preparing to install issue.
SOLUTION 3: Restarting the Windows 10
Are you the Windows 10 users? If it is so, you can try to restart your Windows 10 to solve the Windows Update stuck at preparing to install. When you found a message that states “getting Windows ready, don’t turn off your computer” in the screen, you can restart the Windows 10. The device will start to restart so that the sign-in screen will be displayed as usual. After you sign in, a pop-up notification will show up and it states “we couldn’t finish installing updates”. It means that the update installation has been failed, but your system is still in a normal system. You have to know that the restart process will only fail the update installation so that the update will appear again at the other time.
SOLUTION 4: Deleting the Download Folder Update
When your download is stuck when you are downloading or installing, maybe something wrong with that file. Deleting all folders that are saved will force the Windows update to download it again that can help to solve any kinds of problems.
To do this solution, here are the steps that you have to try:
- First of all, press the Windows button and R button together to open the Run system.
- Then, input the C:\Windows\software distribution\download and then click OK
- Now you need to delete all the things on that folder, but don’t erase that folder
- To do it, press the CTRL + A button together to choose all and then press delete to clean all the files.
- If you found that there are some files that refuse to be deleted, try to do the whole process above again in the safe mode.
- After each of the files in that download folder is gone, try to restart your computer and then run the Windows update
You can try this solution and maybe it is the right step for you to solve the Windows update stuck at preparing to install.
Those are some methods that you can try to fix this issue. If those solutions are not effective for you, you can try the other way such as non-activated the anti-virus that you have, stop the connection and non-activated the VPN and many more again, using the Media creation tool and many more again. You can also try those solutions and find the best option for you to solve the Windows stuck issue at Microsotf community.
We hope that this article is beneficial for you and you can use the Windows device comfortably. preparingwindows.com